Monday, September 8, 2008

"My Birthday and Baptism Day" by Morgan Jones


For the last three months I made a paper chain so I could remember everyday how many more days until I got baptized. It was fun to rip them off! I am so happy that today finally came. All my brothers and sisters came home and that made me feel special. Our neighbor fixed my baptism dress so I could get my cast through it. The doctors wouldn't let me take it off so we wrapped it in a white garbage bag and taped it to my skin. My mom had to call to find out if this was ok and the Stake President did some checking and said it was a.o.k. Kristi Rutter, our neighbor, french braided my hair. I felt really pretty! Keri gave a great talk on the Holy Ghost. Everyone had someone in their family participating. Soon it was my turn to go and get ready to be baptised. The time had finally come. My dad baptised me and I went under the water just perfectly. When I came out and walked up the stairs my mom was there with a white towel given to me by the Primary President, Paula Thacker. She embroidered on it my name and the date I got baptized. It is a very special towel to me. It represents being clean and pure (white) and when my mom wrapped it around me to keep me warm that represents the Holy Ghost.

I was thinking.... I didn't really feel any different after I got baptized. I thought I would feel something big but then I realized that before I was baptized I was good and kind and doing what I was supposed to do. When I made a mistake I said I was sorry. So, I didn't really need to feel different because I was already choosing the right. I couldn't wait to put on my beautiful baptismal dress. My mom found it two years ago in an antique shop and it's been hanging up in my closet all this time. I would try it on every now and then to see how it looked - but I knew it was for a special day.

After I got dressed I went into a room where all our friends who came to be with me and my family were seated. I sat in a chair in the front and my dad and my brother Nathan and Bro. Carlson, Bro. Rutter, Bishop Rowley, Bro Thomas, and Bishop Ward (our past bishop-I kinda think of him as my grandpa)stood around me and I was given the Holy Ghost.

It didn't take long for me to make a mistake - I was so sad. But, I remember that I can be clean again by asking my Heavenly Father to forgive me and then not doing it again. I love Jesus and my Heavenly Father and my Heavenly Mother too. I really, really, really want to live with them again. I love my family too and in my prayers I always ask Heavenly Father to help them.

I will never forget my 8th birthday - not everyone breaks their arm on their 8th birthday! But really, I will never forget this day because so many people came to celebrate with me the day I wore my "second white dress".


(Picture taken a few days before my birthday - notice, no broken arm!)


No comments: